Graduate & Student Section
The Graduate and Student (G&S) Section of the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia was established more than 30 years ago (in the early 70s). The main objective of the G&S Section is to cultivate and expose young engineers into the professional engineering world. At the same time, this exposure will enhance their rapport among fellow engineers and acts as a platform for them to embark on a career in engineering. As at May 2004, the G&S Section has over 7800 members, which amounts to almost half of total IEM membership. Approximately 3/4 of this figure comprise of Graduate members, with the balance being Student members. These figures are expected to significantly increase in the near future as a growing pool of technical engineering expertise is necessary to support Malaysia's rapid path towards industrialisation. As the G&S Section sails into the New Millennium foreseeing more challenges ahead, the current Committee has recently spent significant effort to develop a clear vision of the Section's role in IEM.
Continually and progressively support the professional development of Graduate and Student members
This vision has been further translated into distinct missions with specific targets.
- To assist members towards achieving professional status.
- To provide updates and publications in a holistic manner, to facilitate applications towards Professional Engineer status, this can be accessed with ease and convenience.
- To organize activities that serve the needs of G&S members and to enhance their skills (also to help them fulfill the requirement for professional development).
- To liaise with senior members in the main committee on decisions and planning concerning issues affecting Graduate and Student members.
- To promote the G&S to members
- To conduct membership drives or outreach programmes to reach population of engineering graduates and students. To effectively disseminate awareness of the IEM G&S.
- To inform members on the relevance of the IEM and G&S to their career and interest.
- To encourage interaction and fellowship among members.
- To organise social and sports activities that promote interaction among members